Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What's Next...

Sorry for the silence.  I kinda got knocked on my butt for a little while there.

Then came more clues.  In one day two people had real estate prospects for me -- one buyer client and one listing.  So I started thinking maybe the point isn't that I'm not supposed to be in real estate but just that I'm supposed to be in real estate somewhere else.

Yesterday I called an old friend.  Charlie was the first person I ever met in Fayetteville.  Seventeen years ago, Charlie was my realtor.  He's still a realtor.  He knows everyone and everyone thinks VERY highly of him.  So guess who I called?  Tomorrow I have an appointment with his realty to see if I might want to work there and to see if they might want to have me in their midst.  I will check out at least two other realties as well before I make a decision.

I have decided one thing for sure:  the decision about whether or not I'm going to stay in real estate will be made by ME and not by my former broker!  I had planned to be with my former company for the next couple of decades.  Seems like maybe I wasn't ready to quit!  So maybe I'll stay at the next realty for those upcoming decades.  I am not a quitter.  I may not be the most successful realtor in town but I'm not done yet! 

Now, for the practicalities:  It will cost me about $600 to update my license dues and get one of the magic widgets that opens the doors on all the houses.  I think that might be possible before too long. 

In the meantime, I've decided to ramp up my staging business, focusing more on home optimizing, curb appeal makeovers, and use-what-you-have room re-dos than on staging empty properties for sale.  Door flyers will be going out soon. 

I'm also on the verge of getting a flea market booth and opening an Etsy store to sell some of my freebie finds and freebie makeovers.  (Shhhh!  Don't tell my buyers that it was all free to start with!)  This will all go hand-in-hand with my Freesourcefull blog (www.freesourcefull.blogspot.com) where you can watch my projects in progress.

For example, here's what I pulled out of the dumpster over the weekend. 

Front


Back



It's the bracket that held a mirror on top of an old highboy dresser.  I know it doesn't look like much now but it will soon be painted (white or red?), will hold a framed chalkboard, and will have an additional shelf at the bottom and maybe some hooks for keys and such -- all made from stuff I have around and all FREE. 

Now I've just GOT to learn to part with my projects!

Now I'm wishing I'd picked up those two cane-backed dining chairs I passed by on the curb the other day...

For those of you who keep telling me I need to do LESS.  Sorry, I've got to do everything I can until something takes in a such as way as to fill up my bank account.  Last week I cleaned two houses.  This week I'm working for a relocation company helping to unpack for a family that just moved to town. I'll continue to work mornings at the church and some evenings at my caregiver job.  I may also look into doing more caregiving and might even get at CNA (certified nursing assistant) credential to make me more valuable in that field.   I'll do whatever I can to get by.  I actually do enjoy all of these different kinds of work.  I learn something everywhere I go!  I'm always curious to see where I'll find myself next.  In the end, the best part is that I WILL find myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment